Connect with us


Man is Reunited with Lost Ice Skate After Seven Long Years



  • As far as stories about a man and sportswear go, this is a touching one

It’s a tale older than time. A guy loses someone he loves, keeps searching for them for many years, and just as he’s about to give up, the fates bring him back together with his lost love. A classic feel-good story.

Only in this case, the lost love is an ice skate. We couldn’t make this up.

It all began “about seven years ago”, which would put us roughly in the year 2013. A 47-year-old man named Jeff Meldrum from Chelsea, Quebec, was ice skating with his son Owen.

Suddenly, Owen fell and injured his chin. Like the good father he is, Meldrum rushed his son to see a doctor at the Wakefield Memorial Hospital, tells CBC. Owen ended up needing some stitches but was otherwise fine.

In his hurry, though, Meldrum left behind his black size 10D right-foot Reebok ice skate. When he realized his mistake, he came back to get his skate only to discover that it had disappeared.

Most people would probably have asked around but soon accepted that the skate was gone and tossed its lonely twin. But Meldrum is a man of principle and he really liked his skates. So, he kept the single left skate.

“I couldn’t bring myself to throw it away because it was brand new. I’d only used it two or three times,” he said.

The left skate was stored in Meldrum’s basement. Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months, and months eventually to years. Meldrum kept skating occasionally, but he would always borrow a pair of skates from a friend.

“What I was really afraid of was, the day I throw this out, I’ll find the other one,” he told CBC.

Eventually, the time came for Meldrum and family to move house. While preparing for the move, the man was going through the sports equipment in his basement when he came across his lone skate.

The house he was moving to was smaller than his then-current one, so storage space was at a premium. He decided to make a difficult decision.

He set the skate down on a pile of stuff that was destined to be tossed out.

A pair of men's ice skates

Meanwhile, Elsewhere…

Let’s now rewind time back to the year when Meldrum first lost his right skate. Élyse Piquette, a woman who lives some six miles from the Meldrum home, was at the time walking along Chemin de la Rivière when she spotted something by the road.

A single black size 10D Reebok ice skate. A right-foot one.

She thought that no one would have intentionally thrown away such an expensive skate and it must have been lost by accident. She picked it up and resolved to find the owner.

She paid for a four-week ad in a local newspaper advertising the discovery of the lost skate, but nothing came of it. She then moved online and tried the same on the online classified advertising service Kijiji. Again, nothing.

For some reason, Piquette decided to hang on to the skate and like its twin in the Meldrum house, it ended up lying unused and forgotten in storage for years on end. Finally, after seven years, Piquette thought that she had accrued too much junk and it was time to get rid of some of it. That included our friend the skate.

She hung it by tje laces at a signpost at the end of her driveway, together with some hubcaps and a fireplace poker. People picked up everything but the skate.

It’s understandable, really. Who needs a single right-foot skate?

A Joyous Reunification

On June 22, Meldrum and his son – still with a small scar on his chin – were driving along the road Piquette lived on, when he noticed a single skate hanging off a signpost.

“I said to Owen jokingly, ‘Hey we should turn around — maybe that’s my skate’,” Meldrum said. And that’s what he did. Who knows why, maybe he just had a hunch.

And there it was. The black size 10D right-foot Reebok skate. The one he had been missing all these years.

Well, it’s not necessarily the exact skate. It might just as well be another Reebok skate of the same size that someone else lost. But the time when Piquette originally picked it up aligns with Meldrum losing his skate, so it’s good enough for him.

“This is pretty lucky how this turned out. I have hope, and when I believe that something will come around, it often does,” Meldrum said.

Piquette’s reaction when she was told the story was equally enthusiastic. “That’s amazing! That’s just the happiest possible ending to this!” she exclaimed.

They say that no good deed goes unpunished, but that doesn’t apply here. Meldrum was planning to reward the savior of his skate by having a cake delivered to her house.

He’s still not sure how he lost the skate in the first place. Maybe he left at a bench at the skating rink and it somehow ended up by the side of a road, or maybe he placed it on the roof of his car and just drove off. He doesn’t know and most likely will never find out.

But it doesn’t really matter, now does it? What matters is that Meldrum can finally hit the ice wearing his own pair of skates.

Want to tell your strange story? Tell us about it and it could be featured on Oddee. You can remain fully anonymous.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Man Rides Horse Down Highway in Chicago



  • But he does it for good reason, and we really can’t be mad about it.

Just yesterday I wrote about a woman who fell out of the car she was riding in, all because of a Snapchat video. And today? A man riding his horse down the Chicago freeway.

What is with people these days? Oh ya, it is 2020.

It was 4:30 p.m. when police responded to the southbound lanes of the Dan Ryan Highway.

Adam Hollingsworth, 33, now known as the “Dreadhead Cowboy,” is facing three charges after the incident. Hollingworth was charged with reckless conduct, disobeying a police officer and criminal trespassing.

He rode around for 30 minutes or so as traffic slowed to a halt. Illinois police and Chicago police were following close behind.

Hollingsworth and the people with him were asked several times by law enforcement to leave the expressway, and they did not. Finally after exiting at the 35th St exit, Hollingsworth was taken into custody.

Darron Luster, 55, attempted to gain control over the horse after Hollingsworth was arrested. Luster was charged with obstructing and resisting arrest.

Chicago’s Mayor Lightfoot dubbed Hollingsworth “The Census Cowboy,” in efforts to bring awareness around filing out the census. Hollingsworth’s ride Monday was with the goal to turn more attention to the recent slaying of so many children over the summer.

“The thing is to send a message that our children are dying,” activist Mark Carter said. “That there are no resources coming to our communities.”

The mayor and governor are calling for funding for mental health, education and social programs and development in neighborhoods they said have been neglected.

Chicago Animal Control was called to the scene in regards to the horse. They took the animal to their facility.

The horse, named “NuNu,” had multiple injuries when animal control arrived. NuNu was bleeding from the left hoof, its right hoof was injured and the right side of the horse’s body had saddle sores.

Police were notified of Hollingsworth’s plan on Sept. 9th. His plan was denied.

The mayor’s office issued the following statement Monday.

“While the Illinois State Police (ISP) is directly leading all police matters around this incident due to the jurisdiction, Mayor Lightfoot has been briefed by the Chicago Police Department, who are assisting ISP. What is clear is that this stunt not only seriously endangered the horse but also the rider and all travelers on the expressway. There is a right way and a wrong way to call attention to issues of great importance and this stunt was decidedly the very wrong way. Furthermore, the Chicago Animal Care and Control (CACC) was on-scene arranging for the treatment of the horse which was injured as a result of this stunt and are now working to transport the animal to a temporary shelter where it can receive proper care.” 





Want to tell your strange story? Tell us about it and it could be featured on Oddee. You can remain fully anonymous.

Source link

Continue Reading


One of You Should Buy the Lizzie Borden House



  • The 7-bedroom estate is back on the market for $890,000.
  • The current owners claim to have heard Lizzie Borden’s spirit, which means you can turn this into a profitable reality TV enterprise.

Just in time for the spoopy season, the Lizzie Borden house is back on the market. It’s not the house where the infamous murders took place, but Maplecroft. It’s where Borden lived in Fall River, following her acquittal for the ax-murder of her parents. It sold most recently in 2018 to Donald Woods and Leeann Wilber. They operate a Lizzie Borden themed bed-and-breakfast in the area. Until COVID, Wood and Wilber were renovating Maplecroft to become a similar venture, expanding their Borden empire. But the project got to be too expensive, and now they’re unloading the proper for $890,000.


I mean, I’ve seen worse properties go for more? Just look at the real estate market in Los Angeles. 

The Infamous Borden Murders

Photo by Benjamin Balázs on Unsplash

If you’re not familiar with Lizzie Borden, she stood trial for the ax-murder of her father and step-mother in 1892. The truth of what happened remains a mystery, even though the murders took place in the middle of the day with many members of the Borden household home. (Jk, Lizzie totally did it.) In part because of contradictory testimony by investigators and a second ax murder in the area, a jury acquitted Lizzie Borden. 


The live-in-maid at the Borden house, Bridget Sullivan, gave a deathbed confession to her sister. In it, she admitted changing her testimony to protect Lizzie. At the time of her death, Lizzie had amassed considerable wealth and several real estate holdings, but Maplecroft was her home. 

Definitely Not Haunted, Unless It Is

Photo by Benjamin Rascoe on Unsplash

There’s absolutely no reason to believe the ghost of Lizzie Borden is haunting Maplecroft. She was, by most accounts, not discontented when she died. It’s also very unusual for spirits to move properties–so Borden’s father and step-mother probably aren’t still seeking revenge at the estate. 


The current owners claimed to the Herald News they’ve picked up paranormal activity, registering as many as 50 voices in the home, including Lizzie Borden herself who was, “not particularly talkative.”


Want to tell your strange story? Tell us about it and it could be featured on Oddee. You can remain fully anonymous.

Source link

Continue Reading


Richard Nixon’s Unfinished Sandwich Celebrates Its 60th Anniversary



  • But unlike those McDonald’s burgers that never rot, this lunch has been kept in a freezer

We, the people, like to process history through anniversaries. For one reason or another, we tend to put special emphasis on how many years it’s been since something happened.

Not that there’s anything wrong with the practice. When it comes to big anniversaries, 2020 has some good ones.

For instance, this August marked the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II. In January, the World Trade Organization celebrated its 25th birthday.

Meanwhile 2500 years ago – in 480 B.C. – King Leonidas of Sparta led 300 warriors against the might of the Persian Empire in the Battle of Thermopylae. What, did you think it was just a movie?

But in addition to history-shaping wars, 2020 also marks the anniversary of a slightly less significant event. More precisely, 60 years ago today – on September 22, 1960 – then-presidential candidate and later US President Richard Nixon didn’t finish his sandwich.

We know this because an Illinois man has preserved the half-eaten bison barbeque sandwich. It has sat in his freezer ever since Nixon walked away from his lunch decades ago.

The man in question is Steve Jenne, 74, of Sullivan, Illinois. This is his story – his, and Nixon’s partially consumed sandwich.

“I am not a crook. I am not going to finish that sandwich, either.” Photo courtesy of the Library of Congress.

A Trip Down the Memory Lane

But how come Jenne came to possess the lunch of Nixon, whose legacy would years later become forever tarnished in the Watergate scandal?

For answers, let’s accelerate to 88 mph and take a trip back in time. We find ourselves in the city of Sullivan on that more or less fateful date: 9/22/1960.

In case any Europeans are reading this, that’ll be 22/9/1960. Don’t get too confused, now.

On this date, Nixon was out on his presidential campaign. He was running against a Massachusetts senator, one John F. Kennedy.

As we know from history, a couple months later Kennedy would win the presidency. Nixon would have to wait until 1969 for his turn in the White House.

But on this September day, Nixon was in Sullivan on a campaign trip. For lunch, he was served the aforementioned bison barbeque sandwich.

Whether he wasn’t all that hungry or just straight-up didn’t like the sandwich has been lost to history. The facts are that he ate about half of it before proceeding to the park where he was supposed to debate Kennedy. However, Kennedy failed to show up, so Nixon took the chance to give a speech of his own.

While he was speaking, Steve Jenne – then a 14-year-old Boy Scout – kept an eye on the Senator’s unfinished lunch.

“Being the good Boy Scout that I was, I stood there and guarded that sandwich,” Jenne recounted to the University of Illinois.

Eventually, though, it became clear to Jenne that Nixon wasn’t coming back to clean his plate.

“I looked around and thought, ‘If no one else was going to take it, I am going to take it,’” Jenne told Herald & Review in a separate interview.

And so he did. The sandwich ended up in a glass jar in the Jennes’ freezer.

Onto the TV Screen

From Sullivan, the sandwich eventually relocated to Springfield when the Jennes moved house. When Steve Jenne eventually left his parents’ home to start a life of his own, the sandwich went with him.

In 1988, the aforementioned Herald & Review wrote a story of the sandwich, which at the time was of the ripe age of 28. The story went viral (or whatever the 1988 equivalent is), and Jenne ended up showcasing his artifact on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

The famous comedian Steve Martin was also a guest on the show that night. Always ready to crack a joke, Martin signed a paper plate he had eaten a chicken salad sandwich off of and handed it to Jenne.

Probably to everyone’s surprise, Jenne happily accepted the plate. He still owns it.

A Memento for the Ages

Let’s zoom back to the present day. Nixon’s sandwich and Martin’s plate are today part of a collection that has expanded to include scrap food from musicians Tiny Tim and Henny Youngman.

Jenne said that he never wanted to become famous by preserving celebrities’ half-finished snacks. It’s just a fun quirk, and undoubtedly a great conversation opener.

He has enjoyed the opportunities Nixon’s unfinished lunch has opened for him, though. In addition to The Tonight Show, the sandwich has brought Jenne into contact with other famous people and even an appearance on the I’ve Got a Secret game show in the 2000s.

With the sandwich’s 60th anniversary, he hopes that it will draw attention to the Nixon visit plaque in Sullivan’s Wyman Park. Maybe the city could use some extra tourist income.

When it comes to the sandwich itself, Jenne has no plans on getting rid of it.

“As long as I am living, that sandwich will be stored in my freezer in a container that is labeled, ‘Save, don’t throw away,’ ” Jenne said.

And really, why would Jenne throw the thing away? It’s come in handy enough in these past 60 years, so who knows what tomorrow might bring.

Actually, it’s election season right now. Wonder what Trump’s or Biden’s lunch would be worth in a few decades…

Want to tell your strange story? Tell us about it and it could be featured on Oddee. You can remain fully anonymous.

Source link

Continue Reading