Connect with us

Sports

Ex-Bruins defenseman Torey Krug agrees to 7-year deal with Blues

Published

on

Oct. 9 (UPI) — Former Boston Bruins star defenseman Torey Krug, one of the top players available in this year’s free-agent class, has agreed to a multiyear contract with the St. Louis Blues, the team announced Friday.

Krug agreed to a seven-year contract worth $45.5 million with the Blues, according to the team. He was coming off a four-year, $21 million contract and previously said he wasn’t interested in a short-term deal.

“We know the player, we know what he can do on the power play,” Blues general manager Doug Armstrong told reporters Friday night. “He’s going to fit in very well.”

Before the agreement, the 29-year-old Krug had spent his entire NHL career with the Bruins and appeared in 523 games. He has recorded 67 goals and 270 assists in his career.

Krug’s deal likely ends the tenure of Blues captain and top defenseman Alex Pietrangelo. Also a free agent, Pietrangelo has had contract discussions with the Blues but could ultimately leave for another club.

“You never know what happens in the future. We’d have to get very creative,” Armstrong said. “But Alex has been a great part of this franchise. What we were trying to do is knock things off as they came. And this came first.”

Krug, who played collegiately at Michigan State, was named to the NHL All-Rookie Team in 2013-14.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Watch: Andy Dalton suffers concussion in Cowboys’ loss to Washington

Published

on

Oct. 25 (UPI) — Already without starter Dak Prescott due to a compound fracture and dislocation of his right ankle, backup quarterback Andy Dalton was knocked out of the Dallas Cowboys‘ 25-3 loss to the Washington Football Team on Sunday because of a concussion.

Dalton, who was making his second start in place of the injured Prescott, took a violent hit to the helmet from Washington linebacker Jon Bostic as he slid to the turf with under seven minutes remaining in the third quarter. Officials ejected Bostic for the illegal hit to the head of Dalton, who went straight to the locker room for further examination.

Before the injury, Dalton completed 9 of 19 pass attempts for 75 yards and an interception. He was sacked three times and lost a fumble on the Cowboys’ first possession, which resulted in a safety. Third-stringer Ben DiNucci replaced Dalton in the matchup.

A team spokesman told ESPN that Dalton was alert and in “good spirits” following the hit, and he will be flying home with the team. If Dalton is unable to clear the NFL’s concussion protocol by next week, DiNucci would get the start.

After the game, Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said he was unhappy with the passive reaction teammates had to Bostic’s hit.

“We speak all the time about playing for one another, protecting one another,” McCarthy said. “It definitely was not the response you would expect.”

Washington finished with 208 rushing yards in the win over Dallas, including Antonio Gibson’s 128 yards and one score on 20 carries. Kyle Allen completed 15 of 25 passes for 194 yards and two touchdowns.

The Cowboys (2-5) are set to play the Philadelphia Eagles (2-4-1) next Sunday, while Washington (2-5) will take on the New York Giants (1-6).

This week in the National Football League

Philadelphia Eagles’ Boston Scott (L) makes the 18-yard, game-winning touchdown catch at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on Thursday, to defeat the New York Giants 22-21. Photo by John Angelillo/UPI | License Photo



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

UFC 254: Khabib Nurmagomedov beats Justin Gaethje, announces retirement

Published

on

Oct. 24 (UPI) — Khabib Nurmagomedov, while fighting with a broken foot, submitted Justin Gaethje via triangle choke during the second round in the main event of UFC 254 on Saturday in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

It was Nurmagomedov’s first bout since his father and head coach, Abdulmanap, died in July from COVID-19 complications. After the fight, an emotional Nurmagomedov announced his retirement from mixed martial arts.

The 32-year-old Nurmagomedov said his mother didn’t want him to continue competing without his father. He told her his fight against Gaethje would be his final.

“I want to say this was my last fight,” Nurmagomedov said. “… I promised her this was going to be my last fight. If I give my word, I have to follow this. … It was my father’s dream.”

Nurmagomedov put the final touches on his MMA career as he took Gaethje down and locked in the triangle choke to make him go unconscious at one minute, 34 seconds of the second round. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Nurmagomedov’s submission finish was only the third ever in UFC title history.

Nurmagomedov’s win unified the UFC lightweight title. Nurmagomedov entered as the UFC lightweight champion, and Gaethje was the interim titleholder.

“I know he made his father so proud,” Gaethje said.

Nurmagomedov (29-0) went into the fight undefeated. The victory ties him with B.J. Penn and Benson Henderson for the most title defenses in UFC lightweight history (three).

Nurmagomedov, a native of Dagestan in Russia, also improved his record to 13-0 in the UFC, becoming only the second fighter after Anderson Silva to begin a UFC career with 13 consecutive wins.

“What this guy has been through, we’re all lucky that we got to see him fight [Saturday],” UFC president Dana White said. “… Apparently, he was in the hospital and he broke his foot three weeks ago. So he has two broken toes and a bone in his foot that’s broken. That’s what his corner told me.

“He’s the toughest human being on the planet. He’s the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world.”

Gaethje (22-3) was on a four-fight winning streak going into the bout against Nurmagomedov. He beat Tony Ferguson to win the UFC interim lightweight belt at UFC 249 in May.

The fight between Gaethje and Nurmagomedov took place without fans at the Flash Forum on Yas Island, which the UFC has dubbed “Fight Island.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

World Series: Dodgers top Rays in Game 5, take 3-2 lead

Published

on

Oct. 25 (UPI) — The Los Angeles Dodgers grabbed an early three-run lead and held on for a 4-2 win over the Tampa Bay Rays in Game 5 of the World Series on Sunday night at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas.

With the victory, the Dodgers took a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven series and sit one win away from their first championship since 1988. Game 6 of the series is Tuesday night.

Corey Seager, the National League Championship Series MVP, continued his red-hot hitting this postseason with a single that scored Mookie Betts in the first inning. A few at-bats later, Cody Bellinger pushed the Dodgers’ lead to 2-0 with an infield single.

Dodgers slugger Joc Pederson led off the second inning with a solo homer to deep center field, giving Los Angeles its early 3-0 advantage.

The Rays’ offense finally got going in the third when Yandy Diaz tripled to right, scoring Kevin Kiermaier. Rookie sensation Randy Arozarena then singled to shallow left to score Diaz from third base to cut the Rays’ deficit to 3-2.

Arozarena’s run-scoring single was his 27th hit in the 2020 playoffs, setting a MLB record for most hits in a single postseason. The 25-year-old star already set the record for most home runs in one postseason (nine) during Game 4 of the series.

In the fifth inning, the Dodgers got a much-needed insurance run when Max Muncy blasted a 434-foot home run to right. The Rays stranded two runners in the eighth and another in the ninth, failing to replicate the miraculous comeback they had in the ninth inning of Game 4.

Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw allowed only two runs on five hits in 5 2/3 innings. He recorded six strikeouts to become the all-time postseason strikeout king with 207, breaking the record of 205 set last year by the Houston AstrosJustin Verlander.

Blake Treinen shut the door in the ninth for his first career postseason save. He gave up a leadoff single, but settled down with two strikeouts to seal the Dodgers’ win.

Tyler Glasnow gave up all four runs on six hits in five innings for the Rays. He struck out seven batters, but issued three walks. The Rays’ bullpen didn’t allow any hits after Glasnow departed.

The Rays are expected to send ace Blake Snell to the mound in Game 6, while the Dodgers have yet to reveal their starter.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending